Wednesday 4 January 2017

I have arrived at LIV!

After saying a tearful goodbye to my family, I went through security and anxiously to meet 19 of the other volunteers I was flying with. One by one more people arrived until everyone was there and we went to the gate and boarded the 11 hour and 5 minute overnight flight to Johannesburg. Once arriving in Durban we met Jono (the volunteer co-ordinator) It felt amazing to finally get here after 4 months of planning. It was a quick 20 minute drive from the airport to LIV Village and we were taken straight to our accommodation which is called the Barracks, 3 brand new big spacious areas with rooms off of the room. The LIV4Change volunteer group is using Barracks 1 and 3 and i am in 3 with 11 girls and 4 guys. We were assigned our rooms and then spent half an hour chatting cooling down (it is so hot and humid here!) and starting to unpack. Then we had our orientation where Jono talked us through living situations, the children on the village and other important notices for us to be aware of during our time on the village. We then made ourselves dinner before unpacking more before meeting for prayer at 7pm. As we are a new group in new buildings, we went round and anointed the buildings, doors and prayed over them for whatever people felt the holy spirit was leading them to. After a much needed shower and a quick game of cards it was bed time for some much needed rest. However, going to sleep knowing that there was a mosquito in my room I was not looking forward to this morning…

I woke up at 7.45 this morning and felt surprisingly awake, and with no bites!! I made myself a cup of Rooibos tea and some toast and we all had breakfast together before getting dressed and meeting the other volunteers at the multipurpose hall where I am sitting now (as it is where the wifi is!). We have been given today to rest and recover which is lovely and as today is quite cool and a bit drizzly. We have a tour of the village later and will be getting our itinerary for the next month. 



That’s all from me so far! Lots of Love Lucy xox


No comments:

Post a Comment